Difference between revisions of "2019/Main Page"
(→Team: Added name to team)
|Line 49:||Line 49:|
* Antonio 6_6
* Antonio 6_6
Revision as of 14:50, 8 July 2019
- This article is a draft -- help us develop it!
WikiConference North America is the annual conference of Wikimedia enthusiasts and volunteers in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. The 2019 conference will take place in Cambridge, Massachusetts, tentatively November 8-11. Join Wikipedia, -media, -data, and -cite enthusiasts for a long weekend of collaboration and discovary.
- Our main host is the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- This year's theme is reliability/incredibility
- Participation in conference activities includes compliance with our friendly space policy.
- Resources: [todo: a travel and lodging guide] If you find additional resources during your own research, feel free to contribute as well.
- [Todo: Scholarship recipients]
- [Todo: Travel & accommodation]
- Social media: #WikiConferenceNA
- Want to get involved? Reach out to us:
Stata Center, MIT
- Address: Building 32, 32 Vassar Street, Cambridge MA, 02139
Registration will open soon and will be required for attendees.
Programs & activities
- This is a draft: scheduling of the main conf + satellite events TBD.
- Friday-Monday Nov 8 - 11.
- Main conference
- Keynotes, community presentations, round-table discussions, panels, and lightning talk sessions.
- Main session themes to include: credibility and reliability; Flexibility, experimentation, and unreliable draft spaces; news and current events; citations and sourcing
- Satellite activities
- A hackathon, tech demos
- Our annual Culture Crawl, a day-long event where we collaborate with local museums, libraries, cultural, and metropolitan institutions to host free backstage tours, edit-a-thons, and more. These crawls are a fantastic opportunity for conference attendees to experience the local culture, as well as collaborate with local institutions to improve Wikipedia's coverage of local topics, and to upload new images to Commons.
- To be announced
- To get involved, add your name below!
Partners + Sponsors
- Credibility Coalition, Hacks/Hackers (fiscal sponsor, fundraising, logistics)
- Craig Newmark (general support)
- MIT KFG (campus coordination)
- MIT Open Learning (space, A/V, inspiration)
- To inquire
- MIT Libraries, Wikicite, WikiEd, WMF, Wikinews User Group, WM NYC
- Local sponsors: The Abbey / Lamplighter / The Athenaeum
- News projects: Tribune, DeC
WikiConference North America User Group was formed in 2016 after that year's conference. It is a recognized Affiliate by the Wikimedia Foundation. The purpose of the User Group is to assure that the experiences gained at one conference are shared with future year conference organizers. The mission of the User Group includes coordinating the planning and hosting of events under our purview. Additionally, the User Group documents best practices and shares lessons learned with other Wikimedia communities planning and hosting conferences and similar events.