Difference between revisions of "2019/Main Page"
(sure, let me know how to help)
|Line 61:||Line 61:|
=== Partners + Sponsors ===
=== Partners + Sponsors ===
Revision as of 05:21, 26 July 2019
WikiConference North America is the annual conference of Wikimedia enthusiasts and volunteers in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. The 2019 conference will take place in Cambridge, Massachusetts, tentatively November 8-11. Join Wikipedia, -media, -data, and -cite enthusiasts for a long weekend of collaboration and discovery.
- Our main host is the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- This year's theme is reliability/incredibility
- Participation in conference activities includes compliance with our friendly space policy.
- Scholarships: Coming soon!
- Travel & accommodation: Coming soon!
- Social media: #WikiConferenceNA
- Want to get involved? Reach out to us:
Stata Center, MIT
- Address: Building 32, 32 Vassar Street, Cambridge MA, 02139
- Walkthrough of the available spaces
Registration will open soon and will be required for attendees.
Programs & activities
- This is a draft; scheduling of the main conference + satellite events to be determined.
- Friday-Monday Nov 8 - 11.
- Main conference
- Keynotes, community presentations, round-table discussions, panels, and lightning talk sessions.
- Main session themes to include: credibility and reliability; Flexibility, experimentation, and unreliable draft spaces; news and current events; citations and sourcing
- Satellite activities
- A hackathon, tech demos
- Our annual Culture Crawl, a day-long event where we collaborate with local museums, libraries, cultural, and metropolitan institutions to host free backstage tours, edit-a-thons, and more. These crawls are a fantastic opportunity for conference attendees to experience the local culture, as well as collaborate with local institutions to improve Wikipedia's coverage of local topics, and to upload new images to Commons.
- To be announced
- To get involved, add your name below!
- Kevin Payravi
- Antonio 6_6
- Denise Smith
Partners + Sponsors
- Credibility Coalition, Hacks/Hackers (fiscal sponsor, fundraising, logistics)
- Craig Newmark (general support)
- MIT KFG (campus coordination)
- MIT Open Learning (space, A/V, inspiration)
- Tow-Knight Center for Entrepreneurial Journalism, Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY
- To inquire
- MIT Libraries, Wikicite, WikiEd, WMF, Wikinews User Group, WM NYC
- Local sponsors: The Abbey / Lamplighter / The Athenaeum
- News projects: Tribune, DeC
WikiConference North America User Group was formed in 2016 after that year's conference. It is a recognized Affiliate by the Wikimedia Foundation. The purpose of the User Group is to assure that the experiences gained at one conference are shared with future year conference organizers. The mission of the User Group includes coordinating the planning and hosting of events under our purview. Additionally, the User Group documents best practices and shares lessons learned with other Wikimedia communities planning and hosting conferences and similar events.