Submissions:2014/Where would I find time for it? Scalable Wikipedia editing for GLAMs
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Title of the submission
- Where would I find time for it? Scalable Wikipedia editing for GLAMs
- Themes (Proposal Themes - Community, Tech, Outreach, GLAM, Education)
- GLAM, Community, Outreach
- Type of submission (Presentation Types - Panel, Workshop, Presentation, etc)
- Curated talk
- Author of the submission
- Leanora Lange
- E-mail address
- US state or country of origin
- New York
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Center for Jewish History
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Staff at libraries, archives, and museums are often caught up in everyday functions and serving the users who walk in the door. While Wikipedia may be of some interest, staff may not feel that they have the time to contribute to it. This presentation argues that editing Wikipedia is a scalable activity that can be done at a level attainable by most GLAMs. It offers a case study of the Wikipedia editing efforts of staff at the Center for Jewish History and its partners, detailing the ways that we have been able to bring Wikipedia into our regular workflow, offering tips for tasks that can be done in five minutes or less, and showing how larger-scale activities, such as an edit-a-thon, have grown out of our initial small steps toward incorporating Wikipedia into our work. The aim of the presentation is to offer concrete examples of how GLAMs can work with Wikipedia and to inspire staff at these institutions to explore the ways that involvement with Wikipedia can be attainable for them.
- Length of presentation/talk (see Presentation Types for lengths of different presentation types)
- 15 min. This session could be matched with (1) other GLAM-related sessions, or (2) it could be combined with community or outreach sessions. Alternatively, it could be cut down into a lightning talk. 75 Minutes
- Will you attend WikiConference USA if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Upon request
- Special request as to time of presentations
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Add your username here.