Submissions:2015/A Case Study of student engagement with a GLAM institution: Pritzker Military Museum and Library
- A Case Study of student engagement with a GLAM institution: Pritzker Military Museum and Library
- Type of submission
- Smita Mutt (Filterkaapi71)
- E-mail address
- Pritzker Military Museum and Library (former Wikipedia Library intern)
- Abstract: I spent the summer as a Wikipedia Intern at the Pritzker Military Museum and Library in Chicago, an organization that has a handful of Wikipedia Library Interns each semester. With the conclusion of the internship, I am producing a case study of how past interns have engaged with Wikipedia through the host institution during the period of their internship.
I begin by looking at Pritzker’s model of student engagement specifically that a number of Wiki interns also spend time working on the Library’s other projects such as the Holt Oral History Program or the Rare Books program. The host institution offers avenues for Wikipedia contribution to be braced by closer engagement with the Library’s activities. By comparing the Institution’s goals for having Wiki interns and the goals students come into the experience with, I can point out some of the obstacles interns can perceive in contributing meaningfully to Wikipedia. Hopefully, by presenting a case study of how Pritzker Military Museum and Library introduces interns to its collections and the Wiki project, experienced editors can brainstorm ways that they can engage with student interns to mutual benefit.
- Length of presentation
- 15 min
- Special schedule requests
- Will you attend WikiConference USA if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Add your username here.