Submissions:2015/Are the Obstacles Academic?
From WikiConference North America
- Are the Obstacles Academic?
- Community, Education
- Type of submission
- Stuart Ray, M.D., Professor of Medicine and Oncology
- E-mail address
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- While it is clear that Wikipedia wishes to attract academics and experts in addition to general editors, there are a variety of obstacles for mainstream scholars when they consider engaging in the project, publicly. Mentoring a class in WP editing can be frowned upon, and may be daunting for faculty with limited experience and time. Even for motivated faculty editors with substantial publishing experience, it is difficult to navigate unfamiliar waters of WP where authority does not rest with the individual, reliability is based on unfamiliar rules, content ownership is anathema, and personal reputation can be threatened. To help academic editors realize the intellectual and personal rewards of editing WP, a place for them to get started would help. Some of the conditions of such an environment will be suggested.
- Length of presentation
- 20 min + time for Q&A
- Special schedule requests
- weekend preferred
- Will you attend WikiConference USA if your submission is not accepted?
- probably - waiting to see the program
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Rhododendrites (talk) 13:35, 26 August 2015 (EDT)
- Rpbracker (talk) 00:37, 28 August 2015 (EDT)
- --Frank Schulenburg (talk) 13:05, 28 August 2015 (EDT)
- Gaurav (talk) 17:30, 29 August 2015 (EDT)
- Jami (Wiki Ed) (talk) 19:28, 31 August 2015 (EDT)
- emitraka aka lv_ra
- BobCummings (talk) 19:47, 1 September 2015 (EDT)
- Samantha (Wiki Ed) (talk) 13:48, 3 September 2015 (EDT)
- Helaine (Wiki Ed) (talk) 16:54, 3 September 2015 (EDT)
- DocTree (talk) 22:22, 3 September 2015 (EDT)
- Tokyogirl79 (talk) 05:38, 9 September 2015 (EDT)