Submissions:2015/Making 2016 the Wikipedia Year of Science
- Making 2016 the Wikipedia Year of Science
- Type of submission
- E-mail address
- American University/Wiki Ed Foundation
This session will be a presentation and brainstorming/coordination session for making 2016 the Wikipedia Year of Science. The YoS is an initiative started by the Wiki Education Foundation but is meant to be movement-wide, to embrace education, GLAM and other initiatives to improve science articles on Wikipedia, close gaps in scientific content, and help more people find free, high-quality information about science.
The announcement of intent for the Year of Science can be found here: Year of Science initiative focuses on science communication, literacy
The main part of this time will be a workshop to brainstorm with Wikipedians, academics and GLAM partners to create initiatives and projects around the YoS theme. The aim is to hold this session on Friday afternoon to allow for DC-based agencies, associations, NGOs and GLAM institutions to attend during work hours.
Among the institutions/individuals invited or targeted to attend include:
- White House, Office of Science and Technology policy
- Smithsonian National Museum of American History (confirmed)
- Smithsonian Dibner Library of the History of Science and Technology (confirmed)
- Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History
- Smithsonian Air and Space Museum
- Smithsonian American Art Museum
- Centers for Disease Control
- National Institutes of Health
- National Geographic
- WikiProject Med Foundation
- WikiProject Women Scientists (confirmed)
- National Academy of Science
- Biophysical Society
- American Physical Society
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- American Chemical Society
- add more
- Length of presentation
- 60-75 minutes for presentation/brainstorming session
- Special schedule requests
- Friday afternoon please, to cater to GLAM institutions and professionals
- Will you attend WikiConference USA if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).