Submissions:2016/The Transgender Gap: Trans and non-binary representation on Wikipedia
- The Transgender Gap: Trans and non-binary representation on Wikipedia
- Type of submission
- Pax Ahimsa Gethen
- E-mail address
The gender gap and content gender gap - the dearth of female editors and women-focused content on the English Wikipedia - have been the subjects of much documentation and debate. When addressing these discrepancies, we also need to address representation of transgender women and men, as well as people with non-binary gender identities such as agender, bigender, and genderqueer.
While the "transgender tipping point" has brought more public awareness of transgender people, mainstream narratives are shaped by cisgender (non-transgender) people. Trans and non-binary people can be discouraged from editing on Wikipedia by frequent disruptive editing and vandalism of gender-related pages, as well as unclear policies on deadnaming and correct gendering of trans people in articles. Cisgender voices dominate debates on these issues, with accusations of bias and political correctness. This creates an unwelcoming environment for trans participation.
The prominence of Wikipedia articles in search engine results means that many people learn about transgender issues through Wikipedia, so it is imperative that this information be as accurate and respectful as possible. To address the transgender gap, more understanding of trans and non-binary identities is needed. This presentation will provide a brief overview of these identities, show examples of disruptive editing and debates over trans issues, and suggest options for improving the experience of trans editors and coverage of issues that concern us.
- Length of presentation
- 30 min.
- Special schedule requests
- Need Internet-connected computer, projector, and screen
- Preferred room size
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- There is more than one gender gap! So far as I know this is the first presentation at any wiki event advocating specifically for increased trans participation. Blue Rasberry (talk) 10:47, 13 August 2016 (EDT)
- BU Rob13 (talk) 01:20, 17 August 2016 (EDT)
- CKoerner (WMF) (talk) 15:28, 18 August 2016 (EDT)
- Psanchez820 (talk) 12:45, 30 August 2016 (EDT)
- Gamaliel (talk) 15:16, 30 August 2016 (EDT)
- Pax is a competent presenter on this topic and I recommend the approval of this presentation. I am an openly straight, white, agnostic, cisgender male, ally and Pax has been an excellent friend and mentor to me since I attended a panel discussion that they were on at our Bay Area WikiSalon at the WMF offices in April, 2016. It was the most well attended monthly WikiSalon so far. Checkingfax (talk) 15:48, 30 August 2016 (EDT)
- KellyDoyle (talk) 18:53, 30 August 2016 (EDT)
- Megs (talk) 11:33, 1 September 2016 (EDT)
- I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 14:55, 29 September 2016 (EDT)
- -Another Believer (talk) 15:51, 30 September 2016 (EDT)