Submissions:2016/citation manager needed - Mastering your reliable sources online and offline with Zotero
- [citation manager needed] - Master your reliable sources, online and offline, with Zotero!
- Tech, Education, GLAM
- Type of submission
- Paul S. Wilson
- E-mail address
- click here
- Aspiring GLAM-Wiki initiative contributor; attended GLAM Bootcamp in DC at National Archives in June, 2016.
- Professional researchers know something many Wikipedians perhaps do not: a good reliable source may be managed like a goldmine: assayed, secured, and exploited for maximum profit. Not one, but many articles, could benefit from one one nugget of verifiability.
Zotero (Wikipedia) has long been the premier free and open source reference management solution, and it has enabled users on Windows, Macintosh, and Linux platforms; using Firefox, Chrome, and Safari browsers; and Word or LibreOffice word processors (not to mention Wikipedia), to semi-automatically harvest citation sources and metadata online and manage them offline. No more typing most metadata! It is so capable that portions of the code are used within Wikipedia to automatically harvest metadata from an ISBN or DOI alone .
This hands-on-laptop workshop will introduce attendees to the full capabilities of both the online and offline components of Zotero (home page) itself - and show you how to insert a fully formatted citation template into Wikipedia with one click and no wikicode wrangling.
But the great benefit will be mastering your sources so you can get back to what brought you to Wikipedia in the first place: an unquenchable desire to follow your curiosity where it leads. With your sources in your control, you can work offline with downloaded and fully searchable PDFs and archived Web pages, tweak the metadata, and produce a perfect citation template with a keystroke.
- Length of presentation
- 50 minute workshop
- Special schedule requests
- Preferred room size
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
- If possible.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Add your username here.