Submissions:2018/Beginner's Guide to Events for Wikipedians
- Beginner's Guide to Events for Wikipedians
- Theme (optional)
- Relationship Building & Support
- Editor Recruitment & Retention
- Type of submission
- Dominic Byrd-McDevitt
- E-mail address
- Wikimedia username
- Affiliation(s) (optional)
- National Archives and Records Administration & Wikimedia DC
In this session, I will present basic concepts on planning and organizing Wikipedia events. While many of the other submissions focus on event planning and outreach, these are typically for an advanced audience, so this is an attempt to fill the gap of beginner-oriented outreach topics. All are invited to attend, whether actively planning anything or just curious. I will cover:
- What sorts of events are common—everything from purely social meetups to special-access events with academic/cultural partners
- What is the value of holding events
- Logistics of event planning, including:
- Finding a host/partner
- Venue considerations
- Attracting attendees (especially in locales without active chapters)
- Securing funding
- Example agendas (models to follow)
- Programming (presentations, tutorials, etc.)
- Measuring success
- Where to go for assistance, including online resources and contacts
The main goal is for every interested attendee to leave feeling inspired and confident enough to organize their own event, large or small. With over a decade of experience attending, organizing, and running Wikipedia events, I will draw on many personal experiences and insights in presenting this material. However, above all else, I aim to provide more of a practical how-to for the interested than a case study or proposal.
- Length of presentation
- 30 minutes
- Special requests
- Preferred room size
- No specific request, though I do hope this is of general interest
- Have you presented on this topic previously? If yes, where/when?
- Not this specific presentation, but I have presented similar material, such as "A Primer on Wikipedia Editathons," at the 2014 Museum Computer Network conference, several discussions on event planning at GLAM Boot Camps and Wikimedia Leadership Boot Camp, as well as many internal National Archives staff trainings.
- If you will be incorporating a slidedeck during your presentation, do you agree to upload it to Commons before your session, with a CC-BY-SA 4.0 license, including suitable attribution in the slidedeck for any images used?
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).