Submissions:2018/Found in Translation: AfroCROWD+Wikitongues+LaGuardia Community College Translatathon Projects
- Found in Translation: AfroCROWD+Wikitongues+LaGuardia Community College Translatathon Projects
- Theme (optional)
- Inclusion & Diversity
- Type of submission
- Sherry Antoine, Alice Backer, Ximena Gallardo C., Ann Matsuuchi, David Goodman, Tara Coleman
- E-mail address
- Wikimedia username
- User:Shanluan, User:Aliceba, User:Doctoxgc, User:Mozucat, User: DGG
- Affiliation(s) (optional)
- AfroCROWD & Wikimedia NYC chapter
AfroCROWD and the Wikimedia NYC chapter have long been pioneers in facilitating collaborative Wikipedia events such as this year’s “translatathon” that we plan to make the first of an ongoing annual series. The translatathon was hosted by the linguistically diverse LaGuardia Community College of the City University of New York (106 languages!), in Queens, New York, the most linguistically diverse borough in the United States (800 languages!) (https://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/29/nyregion/29lost.html). In this presentation, organizers from AfroCROWD, LaGuardia Community College, Wikitongues and Wikimedia NYC will share how we planned this 2-day event and what we learned from the challenges that emerged before, after and during it. In particular, we would like to share our experiences using the translation tool and ask for help from the larger Wikipedia community in helping make future translation efforts more effective. We recorded 84 participants, both in person and online, with a special team contributing from France. Reporters from the student newspaper at LaGuardia Community College interviewed participants, and provided a helpful write up here: "Wikipedia Translat-a-thon". AfroCROWD will also share how they organized a smaller, more advanced translatathon in June 2018 at Long Island University with the NSF-funded REU Site Intersection of Linguistics, Language, and Culture Program.
- Length of presentation
- 30 min.
- Special requests
- Preferred room size
- Have you presented on this topic previously? If yes, where/when?
- If you will be incorporating a slidedeck during your presentation, do you agree to upload it to Commons before your session, with a CC-BY-SA 4.0 license, including suitable attribution in the slidedeck for any images used?
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).