Submissions:2018/Introduction to Wikitongues
< Submissions:2018Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Introduction To Wikitongues
- Theme (optional)
- This will be a quick overview, but will touch on Tech & Tools.
- Type of submission
- Lightning talk.
- Ben Jones-White, Wikitongues Volunteer Coordinator for the US
- E-mail address
- Wikimedia username
- Affiliation(s) (optional)
- Wikitongues, a Wikimedia affiliate
- Wikitongues is a nonprofit volunteer organization focused on sustaining cultural diversity by safeguarding every language in the world. Through a network of hundreds of volunteers around the world, we collect video recordings of languages and publish them under creative commons licensing to facilitate free educational use. We also compile word lists, phrasebooks, and dictionaries, including open-source technology to make it easy for language students, educators, and activists to produce their own linguistic documentation for the benefit of their communities. This lightning talk will serve as an introduction to our growing relationship with the Wikimedia movement — as a newly formed user group, we're contributing multilingual content to the Commons and promoting the better integration of oral knowledge into the Wikimedia framework.
- Length of presentation
- 5-10 minutes
- Special requests
- VGA connection for potential slide presentation
- Preferred room size
- No preference
- Have you presented on this topic previously? If yes, where/when?
- Not personally, but Wikitongues has presented quite often--most recently at Wikimania 2018.
- If you will be incorporating a slidedeck during your presentation, do you agree to upload it to Commons before your session, with a CC-BY-SA 4.0 license, including suitable attribution in the slidedeck for any images used?
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).