Submissions:2018/Tools and scripts - Enterprisey's 2018 update
- Tools and scripts - Enterprisey's 2018 update
- Theme (optional)
- Tech & Tools
- Type of submission
- Daniel Glus
- E-mail address
- Wikimedia username
- Affiliation(s) (optional)
Over the past year or so, I've been working on several tools to improve the Wikipedia editing experience. I've concentrated on both the new user experience and tools for power users. I will demonstrate the tools to improve awareness of them and to reach a different audience than I normally do with my onwiki announcements. The tools have the potential to greatly improve the experience for both groups of target users.
I will demonstrate how the tools might be used by a new user at an editathon. I might also go through a couple of the less widely-known tools written by me, such as the XfD Statistics tool, a useful statistics tool, or the new & improved CatTrack tool, allowing editors to see how category (and backlog) sizes have evolved over time. If time allows, I'll talk about further topics related to user scripts, both mine and others, such as a high-level overview of the process of making new ones; useful/underused techniques I've discovered while writing mine (including what I've learned while writing reply-link, a rather complex script); and the process of maintaining much older scripts, such as Navigation Popups and the Articles for Creation helper script, both of which are widely used on the English Wikipedia.
- Length of presentation
- 15 minutes
- Special requests
- Live demo of webpages (but can also present with slides and no live demo, if needed)
- Preferred room size
- Have you presented on this topic previously? If yes, where/when?
- Yes, Wikipedia Day NYC 2017 & 2018 (covering a different set of scripts each time)
- If you will be incorporating a slidedeck during your presentation, do you agree to upload it to Commons before your session, with a CC-BY-SA 4.0 license, including suitable attribution in the slidedeck for any images used?
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).