Submissions:2018/Wiki Art Depiction Explorer
- Theme (optional)
- Tech & Tools
- Type of submission
- Robert Fernandez, Effie Kapsalis
- E-mail address
- Wikimedia username
- Gamaliel, Digitaleffie
- Affiliation(s) (optional)
- Wikimedia District of Columbia, Smithsonian
Wikimedia District of Columbia is the recipient of $50,000 in support from the Knight Prototype Fund, an initiative of the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation. Wikimedia DC will collaborate with the Smithsonian Institution on a project called the "Wiki Art Depiction Explorer", an effort to create an interface for museum visitors and other art enthusiasts to crowdsource metadata about visual depictions in museum artworks. Making this data more accurate and robust will allow further and deeper discovery of these works by anyone in the world. The project was created by three longtime Wikimedia DC volunteers: Andrew Lih, author of The Wikipedia Revolution, Effie Kapsalis, Chief of Content & Communications Strategy at the Smithsonian Institution Archives, and Robert Fernandez, member of the board of directors of Wikimedia DC. This presentation will discuss our ideas for this project, how the project will interact with Wikidata and other Wikimedia projects, and solicit community and expert feedback.
For the announcement from the Knight Foundation, see https://knightfoundation.org/press/releases/knight-prototype-fund-awards-projects-that-explore-avenues-for-connecting-people-with-the-arts-through-tech
- Length of presentation
- Special requests
- projector for slide presentation
- Preferred room size
- Have you presented on this topic previously? If yes, where/when?
- If you will be incorporating a slidedeck during your presentation, do you agree to upload it to Commons before your session, with a CC-BY-SA 4.0 license, including suitable attribution in the slidedeck for any images used?
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).