Submissions:2018/Wiki Bootcamp: Four generations of Wikimedia volunteers
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Theme (optional)
- < Relationship Building & Support
- Type of submission
- Robert Fernandez (graduate 2016, organizer 2018); Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight (graduate 2014 & 2016; organizer 2018); other panelists TBA
- E-mail address
- Wikimedia username
- Affiliation(s) (optional)
- Wikimedia District of Columbia
- Wikimedia District of Columbia has facilitated four bootcamps (2012, 2014, 2016, 2018) for Wikimedia volunteers from all over the United States at the US National Archives and University of Maryland. Costs of attendance and travel were paid by WMDC. The bootcamps offered training and networking opportunities involving a number of topics, including train the trainer, community leadership, event organization and planning, institutional outreach, grants, online tools, risk management, safe space policies, and integration between sister wiki projects. Previous attendees have gone on to key positions in the Wikimedia Foundation and Wikimedia Affiliates, and to serve as Wikipedians-in-Residence and Wikipedia Visiting Scholars. Two of the graduates, Emily Temple-Wood and Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight, have been honored as Wikipedians of the Year. This panel will feature graduates and facilitators from these bootcamps discussing how their participation helped their involvement in Wikimedia projects and how the bootcamps develop talent and resources across the country.
- Length of presentation
- 30-45 min. for panels
- Special requests
- Some presenters may wish to present slides
- Preferred room size
- Have you presented on this topic previously? If yes, where/when?
- No, besides the bootcamps themselves
- If you will be incorporating a slidedeck during your presentation, do you agree to upload it to Commons before your session, with a CC-BY-SA 4.0 license, including suitable attribution in the slidedeck for any images used?
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).