Submissions:2018/Wikimedia Infrastructure for being nice
- Theme (optional)
- Harassment, Civility, & Safety
- Academic Peer Review option
- Type of submission
- Lane Rasberry
- E-mail address
- Wikimedia username
- Affiliation(s) (optional)
- University of Virginia
Anyone may join for a beginner's introduction to the infrastructure of civility in Wikimedia projects. The focus will be on the workflow of keeping safe spaces in Wikimedia's online and in-person spaces. While individuals personally handle some tasks, many aspects of Wikimedia friendly space are a result of infrastructure built into the design of the Wikimedia user experience.
Presenter Lane Rasberry briefly describes some past research in Wikimedia civility. Following this, a researcher from the University of Virginia presents "Machine learning to predict Wikimedia user blocks" an ongoing research project by graduate student researchers from the Data Science Institute at the University of Virginia. In this project students seek to use machine learning to automate the detection of civility problems to flag for further human review.
- Length of presentation
- 15 minutes
- Special requests
- Preferred room size
- Have you presented on this topic previously? If yes, where/when?
- If you will be incorporating a slidedeck during your presentation, do you agree to upload it to Commons before your session, with a CC-BY-SA 4.0 license, including suitable attribution in the slidedeck for any images used?
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).