Submissions:2018/Wikipedia as an Extra Credit Learning Opportunity in a Graduate Research Course
From WikiConference North America
- Wikipedia as an Extra Credit Learning Opportunity in a Graduate Research Course
- Theme (optional)
- Editor Recruitment & Retention
- Type of submission
- Jeffrey M. Keefer
- E-mail address
- Wikimedia username
- Affiliation(s) (optional)
- New York University, WikimediaNYC, Wikimedia LGBT+
- This case study traces the shift in an extra credit assignment in a graduate research course from using Twitter to expand one's network and access subject-matter expertise to contributing reliable and credible content as an active editor of Wikipedia. The six week intensive course in a management and systems degree program focuses on articulating problems in practice, providing evidence for developing researchable questions, and conducting a literature review. The course is demanding, and the Wikipedia extra credit is offered to help students augment their grades through contributing to Wikipedia. The assistance of the Wiki Education Foundation was invaluable in developing this assignment, as many of their offerings are based on a traditional full semester course with the editing spread throughout the curriculum requirements, and not as an extra-credit-only course learning opportunity. This study utilizes an explanatory case study methodology informed by narrative and teacher self-study.
- Length of presentation
- 15-30 min. for presentations
- Special requests
- PowerPoint, Projector
- Preferred room size
- Have you presented on this topic previously? If yes, where/when?
- If you will be incorporating a slidedeck during your presentation, do you agree to upload it to Commons before your session, with a CC-BY-SA 4.0 license, including suitable attribution in the slidedeck for any images used?
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Samantha (Wiki Education) (talk) 20:57, 15 August 2018 (UTC)
- Shalor (Wiki Ed) (talk) 15:33, 16 August 2018 (UTC)
- LingLass (talk) 14:03, 19 August 2018 (UTC)
- Rachel Helps (BYU) (talk) 14:47, 20 August 2018 (UTC)
- Mozucat (talk) 02:05, 22 August 2018 (UTC)
- Norwegianblue (talk) 20:33, 26 August 2018 (UTC)
- Add your username here.