Submissions:2014/Wiki Loves Capitol Hill
- Title of the submission
- Themes (Proposal Themes - Outreach
- Type of submission (Presentation Types - Presentation
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- US state or country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Wikimedia DC
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
diffusion of knowledge is inherently political. in the wake of the SOPA blackout, there must be a continuing conversation with the existing political process.
one of the lessons learned from blackout is that members of congress are the older generation. we need to explain the internet to them. they may be unaware or do not care about our open knowledge mission. they may be unaware of the good works we are doing with GLAMs and Wikipedia Zero. they may be only hearing the voices of the paid lobbyists, with pecuniary interests.
a group of members of Wikimedia DC went to Capitol Hill to brief staff of members of Congress about concerns of the community. the 2013 briefing agenda consisted of 4 main points:
- What is wikipedia?;
- What is open source?;
- What is copyright, and how does this interact with public domain?;
- Wikipedia & GLAM
we will also have a 2014 briefing agenda
more importantly, we wanted to take the pulse of Congress to find out about pending public policy. we need to brief the community on the views of Congress.
- Length of presentation/talk (see Presentation Types for lengths of different presentation types)
- 15 Minutes
- Will you attend WikiConference USA if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
no conflict with Leadership & Wikipedia
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).