Submissions:2015/There were no results matching your query... or were there? Reducing the zero results rate for search on Wikipedia.
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Due to travel complications it seems unlikely that I'll be able to attend, so I have to withdraw my submission. Apologies! Deskana (WMF)
- There were no results matching your query... or were there? Reducing the zero results rate for search on Wikipedia.
- Type of submission
- Dan Garry
- E-mail address
- dgarry _AT_ wikimedia _DOT_ org
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Did you know that 30% of search queries on Wikipedia return zero results? Given the amount of content that's available in Wikipedia, that number should be much, much lower. Or should it?
- In this presentation I will go over the work that the Discovery Department at the Wikimedia Foundation has been doing to improve the search experience for Wikipedia. I will cover our research into how people and bots alike use our search feature, and what they're using it for. I will go over the data available in our public dashboards, and how we're using that data to reduce the zero results rate for Wikipedia searches. I will elaborate on our successes and failures, and our plans for the future.
- Length of presentation
- 30 minutes
- Special schedule requests
- Will you attend WikiConference USA if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).