Submissions:2016/Internet Archive and Wikipedia collaboration: Link rot, multimedia and more
- Internet Archive and Wikipedia collaboration: Link rot, multimedia and more
- Type of submission
- Wendy Hanamura, Internet Archive; Andrew Lih, Wikimedia DC
- E-mail address
- wendyarchive.org, andrew.lihgmail.com
- Internet Archive, Wikimedia DC
The Internet Archive has become a valuable adjunct to Wikipedia since the encyclopedia was created in 2001. This session discusses how the Internet Archive has helped assist the Wikimedia movement's mission, and how it could be used for more.
- Dead links and link rot. For many years, the Internet Archive has been the main archiver of web sites past and present, with its Wayback Machine providing access to sites that have changed or disappeared. IA's staff will discuss how they now automatically follow external links added to Wikipedia and archive them, and how Wikimedia and IA can work together better in this area.
- Multimedia and video. Since 2015, the Internet Archive has worked with Wikimedia CH to supply a service to convert videos from common consumer formats to Ogg and WebM formats for use in Wikimedia Commons. This "Schnittserver" has been a successful experiment to provide mass upload and conversion, but in what other ways could the two entities work to provide easy to use multimedia tools? IA is also spearheading the development of a collaborative multimedia editor, to further the work of Mozilla Foundation's Popcorn timeline editor. How might this be used in a MediaWiki environment to realize the dream of having true collaborative multimedia production within the Wikimedia community?
- Length of presentation
- 30 minutes presentation/panel
- Special schedule requests
- Preferred room size
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Add your username here.