Submissions:2016/Investing in our Editors: How to Edit Templates in 15 minutes
- Investing in our Editors: How to Edit Templates in 15 minutes [WITHDRAWN]
- Tech and Community
- Type of submission
- Presentation, but see note under "Special schedule requests".
- BU Rob13
- E-mail address
- BU Rob13
- No relevant affiliation
- In recent years, significant effort has been expended to create new tools that enable new editors to participate as part of our editing community. While these new tools are undoubtedly an important aspect of any effort to ensure the long-term sustainability of the Wikimedia projects, the Wikimedia community has largely neglected to educate editors in our more advanced tools once they arrive. Various intermediate or advanced functions remain largely unknown to many experienced editors, such as the syntax to edit templates, the MediaWiki namespace, and AutoWikiBrowser.
- I will provide a brief tutorial on editing templates which is intended to raise the competency of experienced editors to the point where they can understand and potentially edit all but the most complicated templates. A discussion of template syntax, magic words, and parser functions will be included, but Lua modules will be excluded. This aspect of the presentation will run no more than 15 minutes. By surveying participants before and after the educational intervention, I seek to provide evidence that brief and relatively low-effort educational interventions can tap into the potential of our existing editing community. While education can never fully replace the development of new tools, it could provide another avenue to increase the editing power of our community without necessarily recruiting new editors.
- The full results of the surveys surrounding the educational intervention would be published on the English Wikipedia no later than early January 2017.
- Length of presentation
- 30 minutes, but see note under "Special schedule requests".
- Special schedule requests
- Can't present Monday
- Need internet-connected computer, projector, and screen
- In an ideal world, a small workspace would be available for ~30 minutes after the presentation so that interested participants can ask any template-related questions. This room could be smaller (10 should be fine). This is not vital for the presentation, but it certainly would help.
- Preferred room size
- 25 or 50
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
- Yes, pending scholarship result
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Thewellman (talk) 16:07, 17 August 2016 (EDT) I believe this information would improve my editing.
- Psanchez820 (talk) 08:46, 20 August 2016 (EDT)
- Paulscrawl (talk) 13:05, 22 August 2016 (EDT) Just the sort of hands on, over the shoulder help that can quickly transmit a great deal of needed, often assumed, tacit knowledge.
- Add your username here.
Unfortunately, I must withdraw this submission due to the scholarship outcome. I hope to be able to offer a similar session in the future, possibly at Wikimania 2017. BU Rob13 (talk) 02:22, 29 August 2016 (EDT)