Submissions:2016/Libraries & Wikipedia: Better Together
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- outreach, GLAM
- Type of submission
- Phoebe Ayers
- E-mail address
- MIT Libraries, Wikimedia New England
- In the last few years there has been an explosion of initiatives to connect libraries and librarians with the Wikimedia projects. Many librarians have run outreach efforts at their institutions, from staff trainings to public edit-a-thons, and institutions ranging from ARL libraries to library consortiums are hosting Wikipedians-in-residence. The Wikimedia Foundation is supporting the Wikipedia library project. Libraries and library organizations around the world are interested in collaborations, ranging from outreach and education to technical initiatives to improve citations and linked open data. But while momentum is growing and libraries represent natural partners for the Wikimedia projects, community outreach efforts to date have not often focused on the unique challenges and opportunities that Wikipedia-library partnerships represent.
- As information professionals grapple with working with the world's largest reference source, what kinds of projects work and which don't? What are some ideas on the horizon, and what are some ways we can work together as a profession to do large-scale initiatives? This session will feature short presentations of model projects from a number of librarian-Wikipedians (TBC) who have done Wikipedia projects in libraries, with an extensive moderated audience discussion following. Participants will leave inspired with ideas to bring back to their institutions and knowledge of resources and other people doing similar work. (Followup discussion can be held as part of the unconference meetup).
- Length of presentation
- 45 minutes (or more if there's more time)
- Special schedule requests
- might be useful to schedule after Merrilee Proffitt's keynote
- Preferred room size
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
- yes :)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).