Difference between revisions of "Submissions:2016/Tutorial on basic SQL (Quarry) for Wikimedians"
(init. need to still work on rewording the abstract)
Revision as of 07:16, 30 August 2016
- Tutorial on basic SQL ("Quarry") for Wiki[mp]edians
- Type of submission
- Workshop (Specifically meant as a tutorial)
- Brian Wolff
- E-mail address
- bawolff __AT__ gmail __DOT__ com
- MediaWiki Developer
- Have you ever wished to know something about the articles in Wikipedia, but there was no "Special" page that gave you quite the right information? Quarry is a powerful tool that allows anyone to get interesting information from the wiki. However, it requires knowing SQL in order to use. This session is meant to be a basic tutorial on SQL, and in particular SQL in the context of the MediaWiki database schema. No previous programming or database knowledge will be assumed. By the end of the tutorial participants should be able to understand the types of information they can obtain from the Quarry tool, and be able make basic ad-hoc queries to obtain information they want.
The tutorial is primarily aimed at Wikimedians, but maintainers of non-Wikimedia wikis who want to query data. Participants are encouraged (but certainly not required) to bring their laptop if possible so they can follow along.
- Length of presentation
- ~60 minutes (I can adapt length shorter or longer to whatever slot is given to me)
- Special schedule requests
- Preferred room size
- Not sure. Lets say 30.
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Add your username here.