Submissions:2018/Implicit Bias on Wikipedia: The damage report
- Implicit Bias on Wikipedia: The damage report
- Theme (optional)
- Inclusion & Diversity, Harassment, Civility, & Safety
- Type of submission
- Jackie Koerner, PhD
- E-mail address
- Wikimedia username
- Affiliation(s) (optional)
Wikipedia has a problem and it is unconscious. Implicit bias is unconscious bias that affects our actions, behaviors, and understanding without us even being aware of it. Implicit bias is learned through socialization beginning in childhood. It is reinforced through social interactions with like-minded individuals and through messages in social media, literature, and other cultural and environmental methods. Without challenging our biases and reflecting on how they impact our behavior, our biases can become problematic. They already have become problematic for Wikipedia.
Come learn about preliminary findings from this in-depth investigation of implicit bias’ impact on English Wikipedia. The data from this proposed project will help the community to better understand the problem implicit bias poses for Wikipedia and what can be done about it.
- Length of presentation
- 45 min.
- Special requests
- projector, computer and sound not needed
- Preferred room size
- Have you presented on this topic previously? If yes, where/when?
- Yes, WikiConference North America 2017, Wikimania 2017, and Wikipedia Day 2018 with Wikimedia NYC
- If you will be incorporating a slidedeck during your presentation, do you agree to upload it to Commons before your session, with a CC-BY-SA 4.0 license, including suitable attribution in the slidedeck for any images used?
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~). @ Slowking3 (talk)
- Add your username here.