Submissions:2018/Wikidata in research libraries: community-owned scholarly infrastructure to advance mission
< Submissions:2018Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Wikidata in research libraries: community-owned scholarly infrastructure to advance mission
- Theme (optional)
- Relationship Building & Support, and Inclusion & Diversity
- Type of submission
- Judy Ruttenberg, Merrilee Proffitt, Stacy Allison-Cassin, Mairelys Lemus-Rojas, and TBD
- E-mail address
- Wikimedia username
- Affiliation(s) (optional)
- Association of Research Libraries
- The ARL Wikidata Task Force, a group of research library professionals and Wikimedians, is identifying issues, barriers, educational needs, and resource requirements for libraries to participate in Wikidata and Wikibase in their uses and applications of linked open data locally. Linked Open Data in libraries has been somewhat of a niche (at times abstract) specialty and the Task Force members believe that Wikidata -- with its strong community globally and easy to use tools -- can help make it more of a mainstream, tangible activity for libraries to improve discovery of local or institutional assets. ARL and the Wikimedia Foundation are aligned on many values, including openness, barrier-free access to information, and knowledge equity. By October, the Task Force will have released a draft paper for public comment, and will present its findings. The panel of members of the Task Force will also discuss the uses and applications of Wikidata in library and archival discovery and in collaborative, community-engaged resource description.
- Length of presentation
- 30-45 minutes
- Special requests
- Preferred room size
- Have you presented on this topic previously? If yes, where/when?
- If you will be incorporating a slidedeck during your presentation, do you agree to upload it to Commons before your session, with a CC-BY-SA 4.0 license, including suitable attribution in the slidedeck for any images used?
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).