WikiConference North America is the annual conference of Wikimedia enthusiasts and volunteers in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. The 2018 conference will take place in Columbus, Ohio on October 18-21.
- Our main hosts are the Ohio State University Libraries and the Columbus Metropolitan Library.
- This year's theme is possibility/posibilidad/possibilité.
- Participation in conference activities includes compliance with our friendly space policy.
- Resources: We've created a travel and lodging guide. If you find additional resources during your own research, feel free to contribute as well.
- Scholarship recipients
- Travel & accommodation
- Social media: [#WikiConferenceNA
- Want to get involved? Reach out to us:
Check-in desk & badge pick-up
Thompson Library, Ohio State University
- Address: 1858 Neil Ave, Columbus, OH 43210
Columbus Metropolitan Library
- Address: 96 S Grant Ave, Columbus, OH 43215
Sullivant Hall, Ohio State University
- Address: Building 106; 1813 N High St, Columbus, OH 43210
Dates & times
Registration is required for all attendees, and will remain open until we run out of allocated space. Register soon! All registered attendees need to wear their badge while at the conference. You can pick up your badge at the check-in desk:
Thursday, October 18
- from 8:00 AM: Ohio State University, Thompson Library, Ground Floor (Hackathon)
Friday, October 19
- from 9:15 AM: Columbus Metropolitan Library, Main Branch, Auditorium (Culture Crawl home base)
- from 5:00 PM (reception starts at 6:00 PM): Thompson Library, Room 260, Buckeye Reading Room
Saturday, October 20
- from 8:00 AM: Sullivant Hall
- from 10:00 AM: Thompson Library, Ground Floor
Sunday, October 21
- from 9:00 AM: Thompson Library, Ground Floor
Programs & activities
October 18-19: The first two days, Thursday and Friday, will include our pre-conference activities. This year, we are offering a hackathon, tech demos, and our annual Culture Crawl, a day-long event where we collaborate with local museums, libraries, cultural, and metropolitan institutions to host free backstage tours, edit-a-thons, and more. These crawls are a fantastic opportunity for conference attendees to experience the local culture, as well as collaborate with local institutions to improve Wikipedia's coverage of local topics, and to upload new images to Commons.
October 20-21: Saturday and Sunday will be our main conference, which includes keynotes, community presentations, round-table discussions, panels, and lightning talk sessions. The main session themes include:
- Editor Recruitment & Retention
- Harassment, Civility, & Safety
- Inclusion & Diversity
- Relationship Building & Support
- Sister projects (WikiCite, WikiCommons, WikiData, WikiSource)
- Tech & Tools
WikiConference North America User Group was formed in 2016 after that year's conference. It is a recognized Affiliate by the Wikimedia Foundation. The purpose of the User Group is to assure that the experiences gained at one conference are shared with future year conference organizers. The mission of the User Group includes coordinating the planning and hosting of events under our purview. Additionally, the User Group documents best practices and shares lessons learned with other Wikimedia communities planning and hosting conferences and similar events.