Toronto — 9-12 November 2023
This page is a list of common terms being use for WikiConference North America 2023 to ensure clarity around what is being discussed, if you have any request for clarification please let a COT member know. This list is growing document and will address concepts as they are developed.
- COT – Core Organizing Team. The team of community members assembled to produce WikiConference North America for a given year.
- Scholarship – a monetary award for travel funding to attend WikiConference North America in Toronto in-person.
- Full scholarship – travel, accommodations & registration.
- Partial scholarship – a monetary award to assist in paying travel, accommodations & registration costs
- UCoC – refers to the Wikimedia Movement's Universal Code of Conduct. It defines a minimum set of guidelines of expected and unacceptable behaviour and applies to everyone who interacts and contributes to online and offline Wikimedia projects and spaces.
- MS – refers to the Wikimedia Movement Strategy.
- BoT – refers to the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees.
- AffCom – refers to the Wikimedia Affiliations Committee, a committee responsible for Wikimedia affiliates.
- Hackathon – a portmanteau of "hacking" and "marathon", is an event where people engage in rapid and collaborative engineering over a relatively short period of time.
- Editathon – portmanteau of "edit" and "marathon", is an event where some editors of online communities such as Wikipedia, Wikivoyage edit and improve a specific topic or type of content. The events typically include basic editing training for new editors.
- Datathon – portmanteau of "data" and "marathon", is an event where some editors of Wikidata edit and improve statements, lexemes and many others.
- Photowalk – is a communal activity of photographers or camera enthusiasts who gather in a group to walk around with a camera for the main purpose of taking pictures of things that interest them.
- Program – all activities taking place.
- UTC – standardized time to be used for online activities.
- EST – Eastern Standard Time to be used for in-person activities (EST is UTC−05:00, time in Toronto, New York, Cancun).
- WMF – refers to the Wikimedia Foundation.
- WCNA – refers to the WikiConference North America.
- WMCA – refers to Wikimedia Canada.
- US-NYC – refers to Wikimedia New York City (United States).
- US-DC – refers to Wikimedia District of Columbia (United States).
- WMMX – refers to Wikimedia México.