Submissions:2014/"Women's Work: Female Bonding and Empowerment during Wikipedia Parties"
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Title of the submission
- "Women's Work: Female Bonding and Empowerment during Wikipedia Parties"
- Themes (Proposal Themes - Community, Tech, Outreach, GLAM, Education)
- Community, Outreach, Education
- Type of submission (Presentation Types - Panel, Workshop, Presentation, etc)
- Curated Talk (15 minutes)
- Author of the submission
- Rachel Wexelbaum
- E-mail address
- US state or country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- St. Cloud State University
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- The Wikimedia Foundation strategic plan set an ambitious goal to increase the percentage of female contributors to Wikipedia, as well as contributors from "the Global South" and contributors from other underrepresented groups. This will require an understanding of how to communicate with such groups, as well as an increase in visibility of Wikipedia contributors and editors from those groups. Based on her research and experience with "Wikipedia parties" or "Editathons", as well as knowledge gathered on female social media users, St Cloud State University librarian Rachel Wexelbaum would like to present her initial findings and stress the importance of the face to face component of Wikipedia work for women and other underrepresented groups.
- Length of presentation/talk (see Presentation Types for lengths of different presentation types)
- 15 minute curated talk...After presenting my findings, I would like to facilitate a discussion on best practices to reach out to women and underrepresented groups to participate in Wikimedia Foundation projects.
- Will you attend WikiConference USA if your submission is not accepted?
- If I receive a travel scholarship, yes.
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- I'm particularly interested in this topic because of my experiences at AdaCamp and Hacker School. Sumanah (talk) 12:28, 2 April 2014 (EDT)
- AWang (WMF) (talk) 12:30, 21 May 2014 (EDT)
- Fhocutt (talk) 01:56, 4 April 2014 (EDT)
- Geraldshields11 (talk) 08:58, 27 May 2014 (EDT)
- Mozucat (talk) 12:22, 30 May 2014 (EDT)
- Add your username here.