Submissions:2014/Comunity Accion Service and Wikipedia
- Title of the submission
- Themes (Proposal Themes - Community, Tech, Outreach, GLAM, Education)
- Type of submission (Presentation Types - Panel, Workshop, Presentation, etc)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- US state or country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Wiki Borregos
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Creativity Action and Service (CAS) is a mandatory component of the International baccalaureate program. The International Baccalaureate program is a program designated for students to have an international education with a common global core so they can have the same education around the world. Its objective is to counterbalance the academics of program, to give students the opportunity of learning through experience and to learn how to take actions for the benefit of others.
The CAS program has eight outcomes that are meant to be achieved by the students,
- Increase awareness of strengths and areas for growth
- Undertake new challenges
- Plan and initiate activities
- Work collaboratively with others
- Show perseverance and commitment
- Engage with issues of global importance
- Consider ethical implications
- Develop new skills
Since 2012, Monterrey Tec, Mexico City Campus, has been working with Wikipedia as an option for students to fulfill the CAS requirement, primarily as creativity and service. As working with the encyclopedia applies to almost all the CAS outcomes making the project a very suitable way to complete the CAS program.
Students working with Wikipedia have been creating and translating articles, taking photographs and have even established an official Wikimedia student group on the campus, with the name of “Wiki Borregos” to encourage even more students to become involved.
The IB program holds promise for the development of Wikipedia as well. Since IB students follow the same curriculum world wide, with an emphasis on critical thinking and writing skills, many of these students may be better prepared to work with Wikipedia when others in their home country. This presentation aims to outline how collaboration with International Baccalaureate programs around the world, especially through CAS activities, can be beneficial to both IB and Wikipedia, using the experience of students at Tec de Monterrey, Campus Ciudad de México.
- Length of presentation/talk (see Presentation Types for lengths of different presentation types)
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend WikiConference USA if your submission is not accepted?
- Depending on Scholarship
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).