Submissions:2014/Wikipedia-An Inclusion in the 21st-century classroom
- Title of the submission
Wikipedia-An Inclusion in the 21st-century classroom
- Themes (Proposal Themes - Community, Tech, Outreach, GLAM, Education)
- Type of submission (Presentation Types - Panel, Workshop, Presentation, etc)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- US state or country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
The diversity of the 21st-century classroom creates numerous challenges for teachers who may not have known the same diversity themselves as students. Among these, teachers must balance the requirements of high-stakes accountability while meeting the needs of diverse students within their classroom. The ability to find, interpret, evaluate, manipulate, share and record information, especially scholarly and educational information, for example dealing with issues of authority, reliability, provenance, citation and relevance in digitized scholarly resources and this is what Wikipedia is trying to achieve.
The ability to study and learn effectively in technology-rich environments, formal and informal, including: use of digital tools to support critical thinking and research, academic writing, note taking, reference management, time and task management; being assessed and attending to feedback or collaborations in digital/digitized formats; independent study using digital resources and learning materials found on Wikipedia projects such as Wiki-versity. Academic practices and values such as reviewing, commenting, referencing, arguing, presenting information and making data openly available for scrutiny are all newly relevant in an age of democratic access to knowledge. Wikipedia is now integral to the development of early literacy and numeracy (see for example the Wikipedia Zero initiative), suggesting that far from being one among a multitude of capabilities, digital literacy is at the heart of what it means to learn, study and know.
- Length of presentation/talk (see Presentation Types for lengths of different presentation types)
- Will you attend WikiConference USA if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
Cannot present on Saturday
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).