Submissions:2015/Here comes (a significant fraction of) everybody
- Here comes (a significant fraction of) everybody
- Type of submission
- Adam Hyland
- E-mail address
- Wiki Education Foundation
Students in the Education Program represent a small but significant and growing bloc of Wikipedia editors. As individual editors, few return to the site after their class is completed, just as many volunteers leave after a short period of engagement. Nonetheless, students as a collective represent a sizable chunk of active editors during the spring and fall term. I explore this trend using contribution data from students and active editors, and information on edited pages.
To see student impact more locally, I mapped student contributions to subject areas, estimated by proximity to a root category (e.g. "Biology"). This helps show where students cover subjects generally undercovered by the community. Comparing student contributions to the edit rate of the subject area gives a practical measure of student impact.
- Length of presentation
- 20-25 minutes
- Special schedule requests
- Will you attend WikiConference USA if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (Sabrina Richmond~~~~).
- Emw (talk) 18:09, 28 August 2015 (EDT)
- WWB (talk) 14:26, 31 August 2015 (EDT)
- Eryk (Wiki Ed) (talk) 13:15, 1 September 2015 (EDT)
- BobCummings (talk) 19:56, 1 September 2015 (EDT)
- Samantha (Wiki Ed) (talk) 13:52, 3 September 2015 (EDT)
- Helaine (Wiki Ed) (talk) 16:57, 3 September 2015 (EDT)
- Tokyogirl79 (talk) 05:43, 9 September 2015 (EDT)
- Fjmustak (talk) 07:18, 7 October 2015 (EDT)
- DStrassmann (talk) 08:58, 9 October 2015 (EDT)