Submissions:2015/MediaWiki Install Demo
- MediaWiki Install Demo
- Type of submission
- Dave Harris
- E-mail address
- No account on Wikipedia, WikiconferenceUSA username: DaveHarris
- No Affiliation
- This presentation will include a demonstration of installing MediaWiki on an Ubuntu server. There is already a very good guide on this topic at the MediaWiki website, however, some people may benefit from a demonstration of how this is done because this is a highly technical process. There will also be a short discussion on possible scenarios where attendees may find it beneficial to set up and run their own MediaWiki server. Such scenarios may include a public-facing website for an organization that is easy for non-technical users to edit, for internal company (or departmental) use on an Intranet that can be used for announcements, an employee bulletin board, or Knowledge Management and documentation of processes and procedures, for personal or family use, or specific communities such as a sports team, church, user group, organization, class, school, neighborhood, or city. A short overview of recommended system requirements for MediaWiki servers will be included. This presentation will begin from the point of a default Ubuntu installation, and cover installation and configuration of the full stack of technologies which enable MediaWiki. (Linux, Apache, PHP, MySQL) No prior knowledge of Linux or server administration is necessary for attendees, however, these skills will help anyone attempting to install a MediaWiki server on their own. This presentation will also cover such things as availability of MediaWiki one-click installers and upgraders by certain web hosts, as well as the necessity of upgrading MediaWiki and other stack components (like Apache, PHP, and MySQL) in response to security vulnerabilities. Current best practices for MediaWiki Ubuntu will be followed and demonstrated, for example, installation and upgrading stack components, (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) via apt-get, and installation and upgrading of MediaWiki from source. A VirtualBox disk image of an Ubuntu default install as well as VirtualBox binaries for Windows, OS X, and Linux will be provided on several flash drives for attendees with capable laptops that want to follow along with the presentation.
- Length of presentation
- 30 mins
- Special schedule requests
- Will you attend WikiConference USA if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Not sure of available time - Submissions:2015/Introduction to MediaWiki Customizations and Submissions:2015/MediaWiki Install Demo might be similar to someone who knows nothing about MediaWiki. Would like to hear this person speak once for sure. Blue Rasberry (talk) 13:28, 8 September 2015 (EDT)
- Hexatekin (talk) 13:30, 8 September 2015 (EDT)
- Add your username here.
I will be unable to give this talk (as well as the other one on mediawiki customizations) due to space limitations at the conference, but feel free to talk to me offline if you want to meet up and discuss these topics. I will be checking my email (address above) throughout the conference as well. Look forward to meeting all of you there! DaveHarris (talk) 21:28, 28 September 2015 (EDT)