Submissions:2016/School Earthquake Safety Initiative
From WikiConference North America
- School Earthquake Safety Initiative
- Education Outreach
- Type of submission
- Sandra Fuentes
- E-mail address
- Earthquake Engineering Research Institute, University of California, San Diego
- School Earthquake Safety Initiative (SESI) aims to increase awareness about earthquake engineering by having experts collaborate in different aspects. Classroom Education and Outreach is a subcommittee within SESI. The purpose of this committee is to create a dialog about earthquake school safety within the community, all people with access to school facilities, and create leaders in science and public safety. This will be achieved through the integration of earthquake engineering to K-12 curriculum to foster earthquake safety awareness. Preliminary use of the curriculum demonstrates that age appropriate earthquake engineering material is possible to create. This curriculum and teaching techniques were applied to students in the California State Summer School for Mathematics and Science (COSMOS) for high school students and pilots were run in schools in the San Diego Unified School District. Further research will seek to develop material connected to individual power standard to help teachers ease implementation of earthquake engineering curriculum and emphasize desired material.
- Length of presentation
- Special schedule requests
- Preferred room size
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Add your username here.