Submissions:2016/Source Needed: Wikipedia and the Open Access Movement
From WikiConference North America
- Source Needed: Wikipedia and the Open Access Movement
- advocacy & outreach, community
- Type of submission
- Megan Wacha
- E-mail address
- City University of New York (CUNY), Wikimedia NYC
- Imagine a world in which every single person is given free access not just to the sum of all human knowledge, but to its parts as well. Over the course of the last year, commercial publishers have strengthened their monopoly on the knowledge economy. But what steps can the Wikipedia community take to change this system? This presentation will address the relationship between Wikipedia and the open access movement, as well as detail recent developments in the infrastructure of scholarly publishing and its implication for Wikipedia and Wikipedians, particularly as it relates to the gender gap and other efforts to increase the representation of marginalized peoples.
- Length of presentation
- 25-30 mins (this includes time for discussion)
- Special schedule requests
- Preferred room size
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).