Submissions:2016/What's New in GLAM-Wiki?
- Type of submission
- Alex Stinson
- E-mail address
- astinson[a] wikimedia.org
- Wikimedia Foundation
Outreach throughout the Wikimedia community, frequently focuses on helping partners, understand and engage with our projects, so that they may share their knowledge with the world. Working with cultural heritage organizations that collect, preserve and share information about our collective culture are frequently the best partners because they share much the same values. These kinds of partnerships are called GLAM-Wiki partnerships.
The GLAM-Wiki Community has historically been about partnerships with Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums. These partnerships, frequently focus on several major project models: a) Editathons, b) Content Donations to Wikimedia Commons and c) Wikipedian in Residence positions where Wikipedians join the organization for a window of time, to help grow their ability to work on our projects. As the Strategist in GLAM-Wiki at the Wikimedia Foundation, part of my job is evaluating the projects created by different communities that improvise on those models, or help us expand. In this presentation, I will highlight how different communities throughout the world are changing the our relationships, and point at some of the project models that could feasibly be expanded in North America, including:
- Wikidata + GLAM (blog.wikimedia.org/2016/08/23/wikidata-glam/)
- Citizen/Crowdsourced digitization (https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/Case_studies/Wikimedia_Argentina_Digitization_Project)
- Distributed campaigns (Europeana 280 project, TED Talks project)
- Library Network outreach (https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/Case_studies/Catalonia%27s_Network_of_Public_Libraries)
The presentation is designed to introduce folks to the open ended opportunities around GLAM-Wiki, and partnerships and relationships with GLAMs. Furthermore, the focus is on connecting the kinds of outreach and project models that we work with in the United States community, within the broaders context of the international Wikimedia community.
- Length of presentation
- 25 minutes + Q&A
- Special schedule requests
- Preferred room size
- 35-50 people at least (maybe more?)
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).