Submissions:2017/Language and Cultural Heritage on Wikipedia
- Language and Cultural Heritage on Wikipedia
- Theme (optional)
- GLAM & Education
- Type of submission
- Alice Backer and Sherry Antoine
- E-mail address
- Aliceba, Shanluan
- Wikimedia NYC, AfroCROWD
- This presentation will focus on Wikipedia as a way to preserve cultural heritage and language among diverse communities.
The main presenter, Alice Backer, is the founder of AfroCROWD and the 2017 recipient of New York Afro-Latino Festival Cultural Heritage Preservation award for her work with AfroCROWD and Wikipedia. She is also a popular Haitian blogger and linguist. Currently there are 295 languages editions on Wikipedia, and AfroCROWD is finding new ways to reach the diverse linguistic communities of color / African descent in the community. Participants will hear about the importance of language on Wikipedia and how it can help in historic preservation, community and connection among the many cultures that identify with its many languages and dialects.
- Length of presentation
- 15-20 min.
- Special requests
- computer, projector, screen, wi-fi if possible
- Preferred room size
- Wikimania submission?
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).