Submissions:2017/Running a monthly edit-a-thon
- Running monthly edit-a-thons
- GLAM & Education
- Type of submission
- Alice Backer and Sherry Antoine
- E-mail address
- Aliceba, Shanluan
- Wikimedia NYC, AfroCROWD
- This presentation will focus on the work of AfroCROWD in communities of color and its methods and lessons learned from running monthly thematic edit-a-thons in partnership with Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums (GLAM) and other community based institutions and organizations.
AfroCROWD has run at least one edit-a-thon a month almost every month since its inception in 2015 and they are excited to share insights and lessons learned over those years. This is a great presentation for anyone interested in starting their own community centered edit-a-thons.
The presentation will be lead by AfroCROWD's founder Alice Backer, and AfroCROWD's program manager, Sherry Antoine. The presentation will cover on the ground examples of edit-a-thons, how to pursue partnerships, ways to handle both large and small crowds and how to increase engagement among participants during edit-a-thon events. We will also look at settings for edit-a-thon events, which include universities, musesums, libraries, festivals, conferences and other set ups. Participants will also get a chance to share their experiences and ask questions.
- Length of presentation
- 15-20 min
- Special requests
- computer, projector, screen
- Preferred room size
- Wikimania submission?
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).