Submissions:2018/Changing ways of GLAM and artwork file uploads
- Changes of hot to upload GLAM and artwork files
- Theme (optional)
- Tech & Tools, GLAM
- Type of submission
- presentation, but I can also do workshop
- Jarek Tuszynski
- E-mail address
- Wikimedia username
- Affiliation(s) (optional)
- Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata
In last several years many of the Commons Infobox templates are being rewritten in Lua, to be able to automatically fetch missing data from linked Wikidata items. In last year,  infobox template was added to the list, which is used by almost 2 million files, many of them from GLAM institutions. As a result, the upload of new files using this template is vastly simplified: instead of previously recommended upload of artwork metadata to both Wikidata and to Commons (which were using very different formats), the current recommendation is upload all metadata to Wikidata and than link to it from Commons. Also as with previously rewritten templates (Creator, Institution, Authority control, etc.), the code helps with transfer of great volumes of metadata curated by Commons contributors in last two decades and stored in Commons infoboxes to Wikidata. This project, could also be seen as a precursor of Structured Data on Commons and how Commons metadata can be stored in wikibase format.
- Length of presentation
- 30 min
- Special requests
- Preferred room size
- Have you presented on this topic previously? If yes, where/when?
This talk will be about ongoing work, I presented earlier stages of the work at:
- If you will be incorporating a slidedeck during your presentation, do you agree to upload it to Commons before your session, with a CC-BY-SA 4.0 license, including suitable attribution in the slidedeck for any images used?
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Add your username here.