Submissions:2018/Editorial Enforcement and its Effects on Content and Culture
- Editorial Enforcement and its Effects on Content and Culture
- Theme (optional)
- Editor retention, anti-vandalism
- Type of submission
- Brian Choo
- E-mail address
- Wikimedia username
- Affiliation(s) (optional)
- Wikimedians of Chicago User Group
This talk will investigate a number of questions regarding editorial enforcement and its effects—positive, negative, or otherwise—on the quality of Wikipedia’s content and culture. In developing a balanced and comprehensive encyclopedia that anyone can edit, there is the inevitable presence of contributions and contributors which pushes against this goal. Some questions for thought may include:
- How is editorial enforcement carried out, and are there methods or approaches that are more effective than others?
- Is there a singular balance between openness and enforcement that creates an ethos desired by the majority of contributors? Is the current state of Wikipedia or the Wikimedia projects more generally close to this desired goal?
I hope to bring anecdotal experience from my time as an administrator and editor, especially in the realm of page protection. For example, I would like to do case studies on some of my past administrative actions (e.g., protecting pages) with the goal of determining whether the action was optimal. For example, did I lock a page for too long, or at too high of an editing restriction? What was the outcome of the administrative action, and was it an acceptable outcome? I may also include feedback from other administrators in this area. I also hope to solicit feedback from the audience regarding their views on enforcement best practices and [the English Wikipedia’s] culture more generally.
- Length of presentation
- 15 min
- Special requests
- Preferred room size
- Have you presented on this topic previously? If yes, where/when?
- If you will be incorporating a slidedeck during your presentation, do you agree to upload it to Commons before your session, with a CC-BY-SA 4.0 license, including suitable attribution in the slidedeck for any images used?
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Add your username here.