Submissions:2018/Have a SNAC Break
- Have a SNAC Break
- Theme (optional)
- Relationship Building & Support
- Type of submission
- Dina Herbert and Robbie Hott
- E-mail address
- Wikimedia username
- Affiliation(s) (optional)
- National Archives and Records Administration
SNAC (Social Networks and Archival Context)  is a tool developed to address the phenomena archival diaspora by allowing archivists, librarians, and scholars to jointly maintain information about the people documented in archival collections. SNAC demonstrates the feasibility of separating the description of persons, families, and organizations—including their socio-historical contexts—from the description of the historical resources that are the primary evidence of their lives and work. A key objective is to provide researchers with convenient, integrated access to historical collections held by multiple private and public archives and libraries around the world while also setting the stage for a cooperative program for maintaining information about the people documented in the collections. SNAC also has the power to link “creators to creators” in context provided by librarians and archivists.
This presentation will introduce the Wikipedia community to the tool, its research and development, and where the project is currently headed by examining examples.
- Length of presentation
- 15-30 minutes
- Special requests
- Ability to do slideshow/live demonstrations
- Preferred room size
- Have you presented on this topic previously? If yes, where/when?
- Yes. Association of Jewish Libraries, Boston, MA, 2018
- If you will be incorporating a slidedeck during your presentation, do you agree to upload it to Commons before your session, with a CC-BY-SA 4.0 license, including suitable attribution in the slidedeck for any images used?
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- I work with this project. It seems like several people engaged in SNAC will be at WikiConference NA. Blue Rasberry (talk) 15:12, 10 August 2018 (UTC)
- Mozucat (talk) 20:12, 13 August 2018 (UTC)
- Rachel Helps (BYU) (talk) 20:45, 13 August 2018 (UTC)
- I would suggest the alternate name SNAC Attack (Seconded, SammyWiki). Gamaliel (talk) 22:17, 13 August 2018 (UTC)
- Shalor (Wiki Ed) (talk) 18:21, 14 August 2018 (UTC)
- Uncommon fritillary (talk) 01:19, 5 September 2018 (UTC)
- Khwang (talk) 16:20, 26 September 2018 (UTC)
- Mlemusrojas (talk) 13:14, 20 October 2018 (UTC)
- Add your username here.