Submissions:2018/It started with a picnic
From WikiConference North America
- Theme (optional)
- Relationship Building & Support / Inclusion & Diversity
- Type of submission
- E-mail address
- Wikimedia username
- Affiliation(s) (optional)
- Wikimedia NYC
- Wikimedia New York City, the first chapter in the United States, started with a picnic in August 2007, the "picnic anyone can edit". We helped develop several types of multi-site events such as the Great American Wiknic and the early Wiki Loves photography and GLAM events, as well as countering systemic bias activities, while working with the Wikimedia DC chapter, and spreading nationally through the Wikimedians Active in Local Regions of the United States (W.A.L.R.U.S.) and sharing and learning from ideas globally. We will look at provincialism and globalism, volunteers and partners, as well as strategy and serendipity. This talk will explore the model and evolution of community organizing locally and multi-locally from my personal perspective, and also transition and the balance of formal and informal organizing structures.
- Length of presentation
- 15 min.
- Special requests
- Preferred room size
- Have you presented on this topic previously? If yes, where/when?
- Not really, covered elements at Wikimedia Conference 2012 in Berlin.
- If you will be incorporating a slidedeck during your presentation, do you agree to upload it to Commons before your session, with a CC-BY-SA 4.0 license, including suitable attribution in the slidedeck for any images used?
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).