Submissions:2018/The Non-US Panel (or Americans in the global Wikimedia movement)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The Non-US Panel (or Americans in the global Wikimedia movement)
- Theme (optional)
- Relationship Building and Support / Inclusion and Diversity
- Type of submission
- Josh Lim
- E-mail address
- Wikimedia username
- Sky Harbor
- Affiliation(s) (optional)
- Wiki Society of the Philippines (former Wikimedia Philippines; the organization however has no involvement with this panel)
- Did you know that there are Americans who help build Wikimedia communities outside the United States? Well, now's your chance to hear their experiences and how Wikimedia in the U.S. has helped them build communities globally.
- We often like to think that Wikimedians only build communities in their own countries, but as a global movement it is also very likely that there will be Wikimedians from one country who are active in building communities in another. A number of those involved in global community-building in fact are Americans building communities outside the United States, and in this panel, those Wikipedians are interested in sharing their experiences, as well as how our Wikimedia experiences in the United States shape our interactions with non-US communities.
- In addition to sharing how American Wikimedia culture affects other communities globally, we also look forward to sharing best practices from our communities and how Wikipedians in the United States can adopt them as well.
- For background information, see the Page views per country report showing the various page hits per language wiki coming from various countries. Though out-of-date due to technical issues, this report illustrates the cross-language usage of Wikimedia projects and thus gives an impression where overlapping values and wiki practice is most prevalent.
- Currently, our panel will be composed of four speakers:
- Josh Lim (Sky Harbor) - from Pennsylvania/California; active in several movement activities in the Philippines and Asia
- Kevin Payravi (SuperHamster) - from Ohio/Texas; a global organizer for the Wikipedia Asian Month
- Minh Xuan Nguyen (Mxn) - from Ohio/California; cofounded the Vietnamese-language Wikimedia wikis
- Rosie Stephenson-Goodnight (Rosiestep) - from California; a member of the Wikimedia Foundation's Affiliations Committee
- Length of presentation
- 45 minutes (or whichever length is most appropriate)
- Special requests
- None at this time
- Preferred room size
- 50 people?
- Have you presented on this topic previously? If yes, where/when?
- Not yet. The panel will convene for the first time at WikiConference North America
- If you will be incorporating a slidedeck during your presentation, do you agree to upload it to Commons before your session, with a CC-BY-SA 4.0 license, including suitable attribution in the slidedeck for any images used?
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
- (Josh) It depends. I am applying for a scholarship, although I might go even if my submission is not accepted depending on funding.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).