Submissions:2018/Wiki Loves Monuments in the United States: Review and Discussion
- Wiki Loves Monuments in the United States: Review and Discussion
- Theme (optional)
- Type of submission
- Presentation + Discussion
- Kevin Payravi
- E-mail address
- Wikimedia username
- Affiliation(s) (optional)
- Ohio Wikimedians User Group
Wiki Loves Monuments is an international photo competition for monuments and historical sites, taking place every September in more than 40 countries around the world.
The United States has participated in Wiki Loves Monuments in 2012, 2013, 2016, and 2017. Last year's event (2017) was primarily organized by SuperHamster (Kevin Payravi) and Nikikana, during which over 8,000 photos of historical sites in the United States were uploaded by over 1,400 individuals (most of any other country that year). Of the 8,000+ images, over 1,200 (~15%) of them are currently being used on Wikimedia projects.
With this session, we will be reviewing the results of Wiki Loves Monuments in the United States and providing insights on the event in the US. With the highest number of participants in the world, we are in an interesting position with a lot of untapped potential. After the review, we will present on ideas and plans for the future, and ask for feedback and insights from participants. Topics for discussing the future include potential collaborations, adding monument data to Wikidata, the creation of new tools, outreach potential, how to retain contributors on the Commons, and more. As Wiki Loves Monuments in the United States is unique in that we accept photos of state-level and local-level historical sites (instead of just nationally-designated sites), there is a lot of potential for local outreach, as well as plenty of organizational effort needed to catalog all these sites on Wikidata.
If Wiki Loves Monuments in Canada and Mexico would like to join into this session and make it a review and discussion about Wiki Loves Monuments in North America, I'd be thrilled. I have yet to reach out to them but will do so soon.
- Length of presentation
- 20 min.
- Special requests
- Preferred room size
- Expecting ~25
- Have you presented on this topic previously? If yes, where/when?
- Not this particular topic, but I am an organizer of Wiki Loves Monuments in the United States and have discussed it at-length in the past in various Wikimedia conferences
- If you will be incorporating a slidedeck during your presentation, do you agree to upload it to Commons before your session, with a CC-BY-SA 4.0 license, including suitable attribution in the slidedeck for any images used?
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).