Submissions:2018/Wikipedia Organizations on Campus: A Review
- Wikipedia Organizations on Campus: A Review
- Theme (optional)
- Relationship Building & Support / Editor Recruitment & Retention
- Type of submission
- Kevin Payravi (subject to change based on presenter)
- E-mail address
- Wikimedia username
- Affiliation(s) (optional)
- Ohio Wikimedians User Group
Wikipedia student organizations at colleges and universities present a unique opportunity for student Wikipedians to engage their higher-education setting and perform effective Wikimedia outreach. A student organization can reach students and faculty alike, and oftentimes has access to resources and a network that a conventional independent Wikimedia organization does not have.
Wikipedia Connection, a student organization at the Ohio State University, is about to celebrate its third anniversary. The student-run organization, with the support of library faculty, has hosted edit-a-thons, weekly workshops, a photo event, and more on-campus. The 2017-18 school year was the first year where the founders of the club passed on leadership to new members, who learned how to edit Wikipedia after joining the organization. This presentation will cover the organizations history, and provide insights into running the organization, such as:
- What are the necessary ingredients to run a successful Wikipedia student club?
- What are the key challenges to running a Wikipedia student organization, compared to other Wikimedia groups and affiliates?
- How does a student organization attract and retain student editors?
- What sort of resources does a university student organization have that other Wikimedia affiliates may not have access to?
- What are the differences between running an edit-a-thon for students vs. running a general public edit-a-thon?
The presentation will also allow the current student leaders to provide insights into what it is like to learn how to edit Wikipedia through a student organization, the challenges of turnover, and the future of the club.
- Length of presentation
- 20 minutes
- Special requests
- Preferred room size
- Have you presented on this topic previously? If yes, where/when?
- Similar presentations were made at both WikiConference North America 2016 (San Diego) and 2017 (Montreal); here is the 2016 slidedeck.
- If you will be incorporating a slidedeck during your presentation, do you agree to upload it to Commons before your session, with a CC-BY-SA 4.0 license, including suitable attribution in the slidedeck for any images used?
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Shalor (Wiki Ed) (talk) 15:32, 16 August 2018 (UTC)
- Mozucat (talk) 02:00, 22 August 2018 (UTC)
- Airplaneman (talk) 06:14, 24 August 2018 (UTC)
- Thsmi002 (talk) 14:08, 21 October 2018 (UTC)
- Add your username here.