Submissions:2022/How Wiki Education supports 12,000 new editors a year
- How Wiki Education supports 12,000 new editors a year
- Saturday Longer Sessions, Sunday Wikimedia
Type of session:
- Birds of a Feather/Panel
In this panel, three Wiki Education staff (Senior Program Manager, Wikipedia Student Program Helaine Blumenthal, Senior Wikipedia Expert Ian Ramjohn, and Chief Programs Officer LiAnna Davis) will explain how we successfully bring 12,000 new editors to the English Wikipedia each year through our Wikipedia Student Program. We'll cover:
- How do we find new instructors to join the program, particularly those who teach in diverse subject areas or at diverse institutions, to promote our movement strategy of knowledge equity?
- How do we communicate with the thousands of instructors who have now taught with Wikipedia, and who we want to encourage to participate in the program again? What technical tools do we use?
- What tools do we use to get instructors who've never edited Wikipedia up to speed on how to teach with Wikipedia?
- How do we provide Wikipedia training for that many students using technical tools?
- How can we possibly track what that many new editors are doing at once?!
- Why do we use paid staff and not volunteers for our work?
- How do we evaluate the quality of the work students add to Wikipedia?
- What are some examples of the types of content student editors add to Wikipedia through our Wikipedia Student Program?
- How do we encourage courses that added great content to participate again?
- And some open time for audience questions!
We'll focus on how we've scaled up our impact, from supporting 200 students initially to routinely supporting 12,000 student editors and growing. People who attend this session can expect to learn how Wiki Education harnesses the power of technical tools like the Dashboard, Salesforce, and Pardot to scale the impact of our program. Participants are encouraged to ask questions and learn more about how Wiki Education works!
Academic Peer Review option:
- liannawikiedu.org, helainewikiedu.org, ianwikiedu.org
- LiAnna (Wiki Ed); Helaine (Wiki Ed); Ian (Wiki Ed)
- Wiki Education
- 45 minutes
Have you presented on this topic previously? If yes, where/when?:
- presented on the program, not this particular topic
If your submission is not accepted, would you be open to presenting your topic in another part of the program? (e.g. lightning talk or unconference session)