Submissions:2022/Wiki99 and the global canon
- Wiki99 and the global canon
- Saturday Longer Sessions
Type of session:
Wiki99 as the canon for global discourse presents
- Wiki99, a project to encourage Wikipedia translation
- Module:Wiki99, the Wikidata tool which supports the project
- the concept of the global canon, which Wiki99 produces
Wiki99 identifies the 99 most important topics for a broad subject and stages those topics so that humans and Wikimedia tools can more easily review and development them can more easily develop them. A consequence of this project is the establishment of a global canon of essential information which everyone in a field, regardless of geography, culture, or language, must know.
After briefly presenting the technology, we discuss the social and ethical issues which arise from the establishment of canonical lists. Keeping with the theme of the conference, we propose the establishment of Wiki99 projects as a way to invoke meta:Cunningham's Law to recruit open knowledge allies to correct the global canonical lists.
Thanks Verdy p for Wiki99 Module development!
Academic Peer Review option:
- School of Data Science at the University of Virginia
- 15-30 minutes
- please video record and publish
Have you presented on this topic previously? If yes, where/when?:
- in my personal social media channels
If your submission is not accepted, would you be open to presenting your topic in another part of the program? (e.g. lightning talk or unconference session)