From WikiConference North America
New Approach to Promotionalism
- All businessmen and professionals want a WP page is essential to their PR.
- This is due to the role it has in Google and the general perception that WP is important. This is not unreasonable.
- This increasingly gives rise to bad paid promotional editing
- subjects, company PR agents, outside PR firms & free-lance paid editors.
- Increasingly difficult to control, or remove what's already included
- Commercial organizations are the most conspicuous problem: straight advertising: priority
- Non-commercial organizations: government, universities, charities: advocacy & promotionalism, but less conspicuous
- Individual professional also advertise, but less conspicuous
- No clear boundary between full presentation of relevant data and subtle POV advertising
- Good faith non-promotional editors use promotional writing
- WP contains elements of a directory
- for any reasonably important business or organization a page can be justified
- either GNG or listed company or other fixed criterion
- We should ourselves prepare these, as for Geographical features, etc.
- contains basic directory information
- prepared and updated through Wikidata
- Further promotional editing needs to be controlled
- Possible mechanism: Pending changes (PC1) , Needs to be adapted , perhaps per editor / field
- new editors have their changes visible for editing, but not visible to the unregistered public until approved. --