Submissions:2014/Reconstructing the past with Mediawiki: Programmatic Issues and Solutions
- Title of the submission
- Reconstructing the past with Mediawiki: Programmatic Issues and Solutions
- Themes (Proposal Themes - Community, Tech, Outreach, GLAM, Education)
- Type of submission (Presentation Types - Panel, Workshop, Presentation, etc)
- Curated Talk
- Author of the submission
- Shawn M. Jones
- E-mail address
- US state or country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
- Old Dominion University
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
The Internet Archive attempts to reconstruct web pages via snapshots (Mementos) that are taken of pages at various points in time. Many pages change more frequently than the Internet Archive can capture them, meaning that some revisions of a given web page are lost forever. Mediawiki, however, has all past revisions of a given page, and also its associated external resources. This inspired the development of the Memento Mediawiki Extension as an improvement over the Internet Archive's "drive by" method of digital preservation where Mediawiki sites are involved.
Where applicable, code examples and demonstrations will be provided.
- Length of presentation/talk (see Presentation Types for lengths of different presentation types)
- 15 Minutes
- Will you attend WikiConference USA if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special request as to time of presentations
- Any date/time is fine
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).