Submissions:2018/Best Practices for Collaborative Transcription of Multilanguage Texts using ProofreadPage in Wikisource
From WikiConference North America
- Collaborative Transcription of Multilanguage Texts using ProofreadPage in Wikisource: Best Practices and Areas for Improvement
- Theme (optional)
- Tech & Tools
- Type of submission
- Aharon N. Varady
- E-mail address
- Wikimedia username
- Affiliation(s) (optional)
- the Open Siddur Project
- Open-source tools for collaborative online transcription remain limited a decade after the ProofreadPage extension became one of the features of working in Wikisource. But how many lessons have been learned from implementations of ProofreadPage outside of Wikimedia, and what can be learned and integrated from the user experience and interface of closed source crowdsourcing tools like Zooinverse? What technical and local Wikisource community hurdles need to be met in order to build successful online collaboration for a transcription project. This workshop should introduce users to the ProofreadPage interface for the transcription of a book provided in two languages. Commentary will be offered as to how to handle difficulties, along with how these challenges have been recognized and met in other online collaborative transcription environments.
- Length of presentation
- 50-75 min.
- Special requests
- laptop and projector
- Preferred room size
- Have you presented on this topic previously? No
- If you will be incorporating a slidedeck during your presentation, do you agree to upload it to Commons before your session, with a CC-BY-SA 4.0 license, including suitable attribution in the slidedeck for any images used?
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).