Submissions:2018/Comparative Course Experiences Through Wiki Educational Foundation
- Comparative Course Experiences Through Wiki Educational Foundation
- Theme (optional)
- Two Themes: Relationship Building & Support and Inclusion & Diversity
- Type of submission
- Dr. Megan E. Osterbur
- E-mail address
- Wikimedia username
- Affiliation(s) (optional)
- New England College
Utilizing Wikipedia as a core aspect of teaching pedagogy has well documented benefits (McDowell 2016). In this paper I expand upon the prior large-N data survey analysis of the benefits of Wikipedia via examining case studies of four courses across two distinct colleges. Engaging college students has the capacity to increase the diversity of Wikipedia editors and make the Wikipedia environment more inclusive, though this may vary by course and institution type. Relying on my own experience teaching with the Wiki Educational Foundation Dashboard at both an Historically Black College and University (HBCU) and at predominantly White institution (PWI), I explicate the distinct contributions and challenges of teaching in both environments. The former may be expected to increase the diversity of Wikipedia to a greater extent than the latter but the relative diversity within a classroom can also have disparate impacts on student page selection and peer review processes. In addition, different institutional contexts, the specific course varied with minority politics courses at the HBCU assigned to develop Wikipedia pages and international politics courses assigned to develop Wikipedia pages at the PWI. More consistent across course and institutional contexts was the preponderance of cis-women students of traditional college age (18-24) as contributors, thus this paper will also examine the role of women contributors as a distinct voice community.
- Length of presentation
- Special requests
- Preferred room size
- Have you presented on this topic previously? If yes, where/when?
- If you will be incorporating a slidedeck during your presentation, do you agree to upload it to Commons before your session, with a CC-BY-SA 4.0 license, including suitable attribution in the slidedeck for any images used?
- If I use slidedeck, I will upload it to the commons with a CC_BY-SA 4.0 license. Images from student work will be anonymized.
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Mozucat (talk) 20:11, 13 August 2018 (UTC)
- Samantha (Wiki Education) (talk) 17:04, 15 August 2018 (UTC)
- BobCummings (talk) 21:30, 15 August 2018 (UTC)
- WWB (talk) 05:20, 20 August 2018 (UTC)
- Jami (Wiki Ed) (talk) 21:49, 27 August 2018 (UTC)
- Jackiekoerner (talk) 21:58, 2 September 2018 (UTC)
- Add your username here.