Submissions:2018/Academic profiles change the world
- Theme (optional)
- Relationship Building & Support / Editor Recruitment & Retention / Inclusion & Diversity / Tech & Tools
- Type of submission
- Lane Rasberry
- E-mail address
- Wikimedia username
- Affiliation(s) (optional)
- University of Virginia
This is an example of a citation.
- Rasberry, L. (2014). "Citing Wikipedia". BMJ. 348 (mar05 4): g1819–g1819. doi:10.1136/bmj.g1819. ISSN 1756-1833.
Wiki editors and other researchers use citations to show where they get the information they publish. Collecting citation information may seem like a humble and bookish wiki pastime. Perhaps instead it is a fundamental change in the human experience, starting with a big change to the wiki experience.
Scholia is a Wikidata viewer which presents academic profiles of researchers, universities, publications, and academic topics. It generates visualizations from WikiCite information, which itself is a project to create Wikidata items for information sources.
Since the founding of Wikipedia the Wiki community has discussed using structured data for the management of citations. What is less discussed are the other ways in which citation information generates useful insights. For example, if Wikidata has citation information for publications, then it can also generate lists of all papers by an author, or show the topics on which a particular university publishes most frequently, or show when and where various topics became popular subjects of publication.
This presentation will demonstrate how to view profiles in Wikidata, why they matter, what this means for the future of Wikimedia projects, and how this open data will elevate Wikimedia projects to change the world in yet another big way.
- Length of presentation
- Special requests
- Preferred room size
- Have you presented on this topic previously? If yes, where/when?
- If you will be incorporating a slidedeck during your presentation, do you agree to upload it to Commons before your session, with a CC-BY-SA 4.0 license, including suitable attribution in the slidedeck for any images used?
- Will you attend WikiConference North America if your submission is not accepted?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Mozucat (talk) 20:09, 13 August 2018 (UTC)
- Rachel Helps (BYU) (talk) 20:38, 13 August 2018 (UTC)
- Shalor (Wiki Ed) (talk) 18:20, 14 August 2018 (UTC)
- BobCummings (talk) 21:29, 15 August 2018 (UTC)
- Mlemusrojas (talk) 02:31, 18 August 2018 (UTC)
- Peteforsyth (talk)
- Ragesoss (talk) 18:55, 28 August 2018 (UTC)
- Jackiekoerner (talk) 21:51, 2 September 2018 (UTC)
- Add your username here.